Group pinch pot classes (away from my studio)

Mud-itation
(a mindfulness practice using clay)

I offered this as two classes at Open Spirit in Framingham (8/18, 7 attended) and Five Crows in Natick (8/13, 6 attended). I was happy to be able to share my passion for pottery with more folks.

At the beginning of each class, students shared their expectations/hopes to: 
  • experience a new way to clear the mind and be present
  • have a creative experience learning something new
  • make a bowl/container
  • explore creative side
  • learn/try something new (totally out of "my comfort zone")
  • do something for fun & creative "just for me" (instead of for their children)
  • enjoy peace & quiet "from my child"
  • "clear out my brain"
  • clear mind if even for a few minutes
  • relax
  • have fun
  • meet new people
At the end of the class, they shared that it met their expectations, and one student shared that she was in a better mood. 

Here are pictures of the sample bowls (that I made before the class)...


...and the students working on theirs:














The class description that was shared:

We will practice mindfulness while creating our own bowl (optionally decorating with marks, stamps, and/or underglaze)...listening to our own thoughts and feelings that arise while pinching/mark making, and/or the sounds of birds and other nature sounds. In addition, Diana will invite sharing of stories of how folks practice mindfulness: what have you learned and what works for you?

Diana will provide materials and lessons to create your own hand-built pinch pot bowl inspired by mindfulness and meditation.

After the event, Diana will take home the bowls to dry, bisque fire, clear glaze, then fire again...so they will be taken home after that is completed. The bowls will be food and dishwasher safe.


$35 for 1.5 hr. to make (and later take home) a fired pinch pot
The class fee includes clay, and other materials and tools needed, 2 firings, and clear glazing inside the bowl done for each student.


Pick up of finished work would be arranged: either from Diana's pottery studio in Ashland, or from Five Crows (a month or so after the class)


finished bowls!
glazed and ready for pick up
(text 508-686-6046 if you want to get them directly from Diana 
AND see their studio in Ashland near Framingham)




New Bowl, New Year
at Metrowest Jewish Day School in Framingham, 9/11
to make a pinch pot honey bowl for Rosh Hashana
(samples I made below)


At the beginning of the class, the students shared their expectations/hopes to: 
  • create a bowl or other artwork
  • relax
  • meet people, improve my English, have fun, learn
  • spend time with Joanna, learn new skill
  • have fun, get to know people
  • have fun, be with friends
Students with their bowls:


finished bowls:




Mud-itation 2 - Focusing on Nature
(a mindfulness practice using clay)
at Open Spirit in Framingham, 9/22

Continuing the Mud-itation series of pottery classes, we will bring our mindfulness practice to what we value and notice in nature and capture some of that in our own hand built bowl. 
Previous experience with clay or this series is not required. (samples I made below)


At the beginning of the class, the students shared their expectations/hopes to: 
    • relax into a deeper connection with nature and being physically present and creative
    • be present in the experience
    • make a cute pot
    Testimonial from a student in this class:

    I had the great pleasure of making my own "pinch pot," as part of Diana Griffin's Mud-itation Class. At the beginning, Diana asked our intentions or hopes for the class. I realized how much I yearned to settle in to a deeper place than words. The theme was mindfulness in nature. I began envisioning a pot with a grove of trees emanating out--roots intertwined, branches reaching for the sky. Birds, of course.

    Then I began panicking. How would I get that vision from my imagination to my hands to the pot? I am so grateful for Diana's gentle leadership, as they invited us all to relax and enjoy the process. I did.

    My design didn't end up matching my vision, but I think it's going to be beautiful in its own way. Perhaps that is the lesson I take from the class. Rarely does reality match our vision of what it should be; sometimes it ends up being even more beautiful. Hmmm...... I'll have to try to remember that!

    - Debbie




    Mud-itation 2 - Focusing on Nature
    (a mindfulness practice using clay)
    at Five Crows in Natick, 10/22/22

    At the beginning of the class, the students shared their expectations/hopes to: 
    • have fun (3 of 4 students said)
    • learn
    • new creativity




    Finished work: