candy dish, custom orders

Custom orders aren't so fun and I don't prefer them (they take more time and effort) but sometimes they cause me to push myself...and I make something that I really like, and will want to make again! The three below are that way.

A woman from Memphis (Shirley) found my website this year and contacted me to make two bowls for her...one bowl for a gift, and one bowl for herself that she will use as a candy dish.

For the candy dish, I wired fused glass into holes I had precut to match each piece of glass... I made the glass pieces at a class years ago. Shirley wanted pink...I don't have a good pink glaze and it contrasted with the glass pieces... so I added pink beads with the copper wire I used to wire the glass into the holes.



This was fun to take pictures of the light coming through the holes.


Here is a picture from Shirley of the bowl in use.




Here is the other dish I made for Shirley: the outside is unglazed and heavily carved with contours similar to a piece I have on my website. That one was inspired by rocks I found at Lake Erie.


I like how these both came out. Shirley did too! 
And both dishes made it safely to her when I shipped them in early December. Yay!



Here is another custom order I made this fall.
Another person, Steve, wanted to get an asparagus plate for his wife...to replace one (that she had bought elsewhere) that broke. I don't usually do slab work but practiced and figured out how to make what he wanted. Here it is: